The protocol for filming in Bhutan differs from that of normal tours and treks. The tourists or professionals keen to film in Bhutan must abide by the Bhutanese Filing Regulations, 1995, available with the implementing agency, the Tourism Council of Bhutan. ( the regulation doesn’t apply to feature or cinematographic films).
Applications for a filming permit must be submitted to the Tourism Council of Bhutan at least 30 days in advance.
The application must be accompanied by:
- Theme of the film -Theme/background/objective/purpose etc.
- specific locations/objects/activities
- composition of the team and list of equipment, accessories/ consumables (members of the team will have to pay the full daily tourist tariff)
- Letter of recommendation from sponsoring agency (application forms can be obtained from the Tourism Council of Bhutan on payment of Nu 300.) http://www.bicma.gov.bt/form/interfilmpermit.pdf
Photo of International documentary shooting with assistance of Yelha Bhutan Tours and Travels.
- First 30 Minutes or part thereof ~ US$10,000
- Next 30 Minutes or part thereof ~ US$6,000
- Every additional 30 Minutes or part thereof US$3,000
- In addition a security deposit of US$5,000 must be deposited with the Tourism Council of Bhutan. This deposit will be refunded upon completion of the film to the satisfaction of the Tourism Council of Bhutan.